Controlled Growth Mercury Electrode
Mercury drop working electrodes are invaluable for certain applications due to their high overpotential for hydrogen ion reduction and the high reproducibility of the electrode surface.
Mercury drop electrodes are generated by the BASi® Controlled Growth Mercury Electrode (CGME) in three modes:
- DME (Dropping Mercury Electrode) – mercury is allowed to flow freely from the reservoir down the capillary and so the growth of the mercury drop and its lifetime is controlled by gravity. (The optional 100 µm capillary is recommended for this mode.)
- SMDE (Static Mercury Drop Electrode) – the drop size is determined by the length of time for which the fast-response capillary valve is opened, and the drop is dislodged by a drop knocker. The dispense/knock timing is microprocessor-controlled and is typically coordinated with the potential pulse or square-wave waveform. This mode can also used to generate the Hanging Mercury Drop Electrode required for stripping experiments.
The CGME mode is available only on the BASi 100B/W and the CV-50W, whereas the SMDE mode is available with any PC- or microprocessor-controlled potentiostat (including the EC epsilon EClipse). The dispense and knock functions can also be manually controlled, so a Hanging Mercury Drop Electrode can be generated manually (e.g., for stripping experiments using the CV-27).
A built-in gas control allows purging or blanketing of the sample prior to or during analysis, and there is a magnetic stirrer for experiments requiring convection, such as stripping voltammetry. The cell arm with detachable cell top allows easy access to the electrodes for rinsing and cleaning, and the cell top is also compatible with BASi® voltammetry working electrodes. The stir motor/cell vial base pivots for easy removal and replacement of the cell vial.
Please note that mercury is not included with the CGME due to shipping regulations. Please purchase triply- or quadruply-distilled mercury from a company that is licensed to ship mercury.
- Wide range of drop sizes
- Programmable drop growth with the BASi 100B/W and CV-50W
- DME, SMDE, and CGME modes
- HMDE available in SMDE and CGME modes
- Good electrical contact minimizes electrode resistance
- Fast response time
- Rapid drop stabilization
- Small volume glass cell vials
- Water-jacketed cell vial
- Cell top compatible with BASi® voltammetry electrodes
- Standard addition port
- Quick-connect input gas line connector
- Easy maintenance
- Minimal metal contact reduces metal contamination
- Self-contained power supply
- Mounted magnetic stirrer with 50-800 rpm
- Manual and remote control of mercury dispense, drop knock, stirrer on/off, inert gas purge/blanket
- Minimal chance of mercury spills
Please note that mercury is not included with the CGME due to shipping regulations. Please purchase triply- distilled or quadruply-distilled mercury from a company that is licensed to ship mercury.
CGME Cell Stand
CGME cell stand package (please specify power requirements)
ER-9515 Ribbon cable
CGME cell accessories kit includes:
ER-9132 Teflon coated stir bar (1)
MF-1028 Replacement valve seal
MF-2052 RE-5B Ag/AgCl (3M NaCl) reference electrode (3)
MF-2069 Mercury collector rod (1)
MF-2090 Beveled glass capillary – 150µm (2)
MF-1208 Glass voltammetry cell vial (12)
Low volume cell vial (2) (reorder using MF-1084 Low volume cell vial (6))
MW-1032 Platinum wire counter/auxiliary electrode (1)
MW-1034 Cell top plug (1)
MW-4601 Mercury trap (1)
MF-7150 Vacuum priming pump accessory (1)
MR-5275 Reference electrode storage vial with cap
- Inlet Gas Pressure: 5 psi
- Power: 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions: 42 cm (16.5”) height x 18 cm (7”) width x 23 cm (9”) depth
- Weight: 13 lbs